Tuesday, February 6, 2007

BBC Airs Documentary on Concealed Risks of Paxil

BBC News "Panorama" on 1/29/07 aired an hour-long documentary on how GlaxoSmithKline concealed the risks of suicidal behavior among children and adolescents taking the antidepressant Paxil (as known in the U.S.; Seroxat in the U.K).

I tell the basic story of the concealment of these risks in the "Introduction" to HOOKED. The BBC documentary fleshes out the story considerably, based on access to internal GSK e-mails unearthed as part of the legal discovery process as families have sued the company. The printed version of the story can be found at: http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/6291773.stm

The entire documentary can also be viewed online at the BBC website:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/6291773.stm

Obviously GSK does not emerge from this documentary looking very good; but in my view, the people who come off least well in this debacle are some of the "expert" physicians who are part of GSK's expert speaker's bureau and who appear here to be little more than paid shills.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My name is Michael Smith and i would like to show you my personal experience with Paxil.

I am 40 years old. Have been on Paxil for 5 years now. Please be careful if coming off, i started to wean myself with out doctors help couldnt afford it. I went from 20 mgs to 10 mgs for a month, then 10 mgs to 5 mgs for a month. Because the 20 mgs were way to strong took 20 for 5 years and was always on edge. After about 1 month on 10 felt a little better. I stopped for 7 days completly and man did I feel like shit man I didn’t want to leave the house , shop! I just started back on 5 mgs to get it back in my system. Who know what is the right amount you have to be the test subject on yourself!

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Headaches, tremors, emotional wreck, just the blah's when I 1st started takin wasnt bad, cause I also way taken klonopin.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Michael Smith